About Me

My photo
5 people : 21 miles We are 5 girls from Reading who are swimming the English Channel in the summer of August 2012 to raise money and awareness for Cancer Research UK. Follow on here our progress in training and organizing our challenge!

Tuesday 19 June 2012

First Open Water Training Session

On Sunday 17th June I (Josie) undertook her first open water training session at a lake just off the M4 in Berkshire.  Accompanied by a friend who has been training for the Great North Swim this coming weekend, I went down to the lake for 8am.  Upon arrival it was exciting and inspiring to see that there were around 40 other swimmers in the lake, I had no idea open water swimming was so popular!

After a wetsuit fitting (yes I know we are not allowed them for the Channel Swim but for this training I was) I apprehensively got into the water which was an apparently mild 16.6 degrees Celsius - not too far off what we are hoping the Channel will be by the last week of August when we swim.  After getting used to the temperature and spotting of the buoys while completing laps of the circuit I found the whole experience very refreshing and enjoyable.  I completed 2.25km in 42 minutes, which as a first outdoor swim is very encouraging as we hope to be averaging speeds of 3km/hr in the summer.  As well as practising in a different and more realistic environment the experience was also good to help acclimatise to the temperature and lack of visibility, as well as practising not swallowing too much water which could be disastrous in the sea in the summer!

I am off back there this evening for my second training session, and am hopeful that it will be as fruitful and entertaining as the first!  I will keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment